This is the first in twelve posts that I have challenged myself to put up for the holidays. I wanted to find ways to have holiday treats that are not full of refined sugar, gluten-free options AND mostly vegan! Whoa! This is either going to be a really fun 12 days or complete epic fail…I will let you all decide.
First up! How about making your own homemade holiday peppermint chocolates? These were inspired by the classic holiday candy ‘After Eights’. I loved these growing up and could eat a whole box in one sitting. I kid you not. The base of this candy recipe comes from one of my favourite bloggers out there, Cara from Fork & Beans. Simply make this raw chocolate candy recipe and melt it on very low heat in a sauce pan until completely smooth. Place in piping bag and pour into molds, filling half way. Freeze for 15 minutes. I used a variety of silicone ice-cube molds like plan circles, apples and Little Q’s personal favourite…LEGO men.
I was battling for days about how to do for the filling. I mean, really, this candy is normally FULL of shortening, confection sugar and all kinds of unhealthy things for you. Then I had an ‘a-ha’ moment as I stood in front of the flour shelf! Chia seeds! I’ve mentioned on here before how I love to use chia seeds as an egg replacer but it came to me that it could be used for the peppermint filling and would be nutritious and delicious! All you have to do is grind them in a clean coffee bean grinder, mix with the other ingredients and it will make a smooth paste. Place a little ball of paste in the center of the chocolate and freeze for another 10 minutes. Take molds out of the freezer and cover with remaining chocolate. Freeze until ready to serve.
This week’s Thrive Forward question on Facebook was ‘How do YOU maintain your healthy immune system?’. My answer was lots of dark leafy greens, exercise, sleep and a whole lot of laughter. Then I started thinking that this chocolate candy recipe – which I know is not a dark leafy green – but this little homemade candy is PACKED full of amazing immune strengthening properties. Raw cacao is full of antioxidants and minerals. Then you fill the candy with super food chia seeds, amazing hormone regulator maca powder, raw enzyme filled honey AND drops of stomach soothing peppermint oil…this recipe isn’t candy! No, my friends it is just amazing tasting medicine to keep your body strong through this holiday season.
Homemade Holiday Peppermint Chocolates
Raw Chocolate Candy Recipe from Fork & Beans
- 2 tbsp chia seeds, ground in coffee grinder
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 2 drops pure peppermint oil
1. Mix all chocolate ingredients in bowl. On very low heat in a sauce pan, heat the chocolate mixture so that it is smooth. Place in piping bag (or strong Ziploc bag with corner cut out) and pour into molds filling half way. Place in freezer for 15 mins.
2. While chocolate is freezing, mix ground chia seeds, honey, maca powder & peppermint oil in small bowl until completely mixed and smooth. Roll into tiny balls and place in the center of the half filled chocolate molds. Freeze for 10 mins. (Tip: the chia mixture can get a little stick so I suggest wetting your fingers with cold water through out this process. It should be a greyish colour.)
3. Cover with remaining chocolate and freeze until ready to serve. Of course don’t forget to pop these out of their molds before handing them to guests Eat quickly. The raw chocolate will melt fast in your hands!