Next up on the ’12 Days of Naughty made Nice’…Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Brownies! Oh my friends, this is a recipe I have been DYING to post.
Brownies and me have not always got along. The truth of the matter is, I have never been one of those women who craves chocolate. Never was a fan of chocolate cakes or candy. I always found they were too sugary sweet and not enough actual chocolate taste. I am aware that I am alone in this category. You are probably making a face right now as you read this that includes one heightened eyebrow, an Elvis inspired half lifted lip and an audible ‘huh?’. I am certainly OK with this vision of you because I know that this recipe changes all previous views I had on brownies and quite possibly change your mind about making any of the butter loaded, white sugar filled versions.
I know if you make these and take them to a holiday party or give them to a neighbour you will get rave reviews. These brownies are chocolatey, gooey guilty-free pleasures. My co-workers can vouch for this. I personally don’t think that they need icing (why would I layer refined sugar on something already perfect?), however if you are the type that insists
on ruining icing be put on brownies, I have three words for you: avocado, cacao powder & honey. Of course if you choose this option of icing, the brownies will need to be stored in a cool place. I recommend you stick with what I got for you below…
- 1 sweet potato, peeled & chopped
- 2 medium sized apples, cored, peeled & chopped
- 6 oz of unsweetened chocolate, shredded
- 1½ tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Boil sweet potato & apples until soft. Place in blender and purée. Put in medium sized bowl.
- Over low heat, melt the unsweetened chocolate and coconut oil until smooth. Take off of heat and pour into sweet potato apple mix.
- Add almond milk & vanilla and mix until all ingredients are blended together.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Add remaining ingredients and fold into wet mixture.
- Oil and 8" x 8" pan with coconut or olive oil. Place brownie mixture in pan and
- bake for 40-45 mins. Let cool before serving. Store covered for 1 week (if they last that long...;)