Happy 1st Birthday Roll With It!
One year ago today I posted my first post on the blog and I can’t believe how quickly it has gone by! I started this blog as a creative outlet for experimenting in the kitchen with food sensitivities in our household. It continues to be a place where I can safely push my limits in the kitchen – whether that is with baking vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free or any other recipe I want to develop. I also love being able to share with you my physical challenges as I learn to push my body in running, hiking or yoga.
I continue to be inspired by food and the effect on our bodies. I have so many ideas for the year to come and I am really looking forward to sharing them all with you! Big thanks to all my readers for supporting me either here in your comments or on other social media networks like Facebook, twitter or Pinterest! If you’ve shared my content with your friends or family I want to thank you for opening up my audience!
This recipe is a family favourite and I am so happy I was able to adjust it into something that meets our food sensitivities. This is my mother-in-law’s cake recipe; I have added more chocolate, made it gluten-free and I also cut the sugar content WAY back.
You can make these into donuts like I have, cupcakes or even an 8″ x 8″ cake. Very versatile and pretty much fool-proof (even with the adjustments). These are super moist, not too dense and full of chocolate flavour! Perfect for any special event. Here’s to another year of blogging and super awesome recipes! Big hugs to all of you! xo
- CAKE BATTER
- ½ cup gluten-free oatmeal
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted (or grape seed oil)
- 2 eggs (or ½ cup of chia seeds soaked in water if vegan)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- COCONUT GLAZE
- 2 heaping tbsp powdered sugar (I put sucanat in a clean coffee grinder and made it into a powdered sugar for a healthier sugar option)
- ½ cup of coconut milk (or regular cow milk)
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a small bowl, mix oatmeal, cocoa and boiling water. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat together coconut sugar, coconut oil & eggs. Add cooled chocolate oatmeal mixture and mix well.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients. Slowly add to wet ingredients until mixed well together.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill donut pans about ⅔ full of cake batter. Bake in oven for about 18mins until the donuts spring back when touched. Let sit in pans to cool for 5mins, then allow remainder to cool on cooling racks out of pans.
- Prepare the glaze: mix the homemade powdered sugar, non-dairy milk and vanilla in a bowl. It will be really liquidy. In another bowl, place unsweetened shredded coconut. One by one, dip the donut in the glaze, covering both sides, then dip and roll in the shredded coconut.
- Set on cooling rack to dry. Once set, place in air tight container and enjoy when celebrating your special occasion!