There once was a girl…
Who met a boy…
And fell in love…and the rest is history. Or is it?
I don’t think that these little guys need much explaining. Olives stuffed with my goat cheese dip, made into penguins! This appetizer is not vegan (that’s the mostly vegan part of the series) but it is vegetarian. It takes some time to put together all the parts, but in the end these little penguins are so cute that they are hard to pass up at a party (even if you are not a big olive fan).
March of the Olive Stuffed Penguins
- Goat Cheese Spread
- 12 Colossal black pitted olives
- 12 small black pitted olives
- 1 fat carrot
- 12, 2 inch long thin strips of roasted red peppers
- 12 toothpicks
- Make the goat cheese spread. You will have leftovers of the spread which you can use for dip & veggies.
- Cut a triangle from bottom to the middle, lengthwise, into the side of each colossal olive. Carefully insert about 1 teaspoon of the goat cheese spread into each olive. Use a damp paper towel to wipe the olive of any extra spread. Slice the bottom of the carrot (the fattest part) into 12, 1/4 inch thick rounds; cut a small notch out of each carrot slice to form feet.
- Save the cut out pieces of the carrot and use for the beak of the penguin. I found it worked really well when I carefully cut the piece into a slightly thinner width. Take your smaller olives and cut a small slit in them horizontally, press the “beak” piece into center of small olive.
- Set a big olive, large hole side down, onto a carrot slice. Secure with a toothpick. Then, set a small olive onto the large olive, adjusting so that the beak, goat cheese chest and notch in the carrot slice line up. Take red pepper slice and wrap around neck. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.