I’m realizing that these ’12 Days of Naughty made Nice’ have been a lot of chocolate treats for the holiday season. Maybe because chocolate is so forgiving? I’m not sure, but don’t you fret, there are some savory dishes to come too. If you are having trouble keeping up here is a recap of what has happened so far:
And for today, treat number 6 of the 12 Days (wow – can’t believe we are half way through) is the classic no bake Haystack. Only vegan. And gluten-free.
I absolutely love these. So simple. So tasty. So perfect. You really could eat these any time of year but why not bring them out for the holiday season? I don’t feel like I’ve done some kind of crazy reinventing for these. I’m sure I’m not the first person to make these a vegan, gluten-free version, but this is what I came up with and I hope you like it! The only thing I would change next time is to make them a little smaller – turned into handfuls instead of tablespoons. Otherwise, this is one of the simplest recipes I’ve made during this series so far. I would put the A Hell of a Bark in a close second (only because roasting almonds takes time at a low temperature). Enjoy!
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cup cacao powder
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 3 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if possible)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- ½ tsp pure vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat coconut sugar, cacao powder, almond milk and coconut oil in a saucepan on medium low heat. Stir until combined. Remove from heat.
- Add oats, coconut, vanilla and a pinch of sea salt. Mix until oats are completely covered.
- Drop in tablespoon sized "stacks" onto parchment paper. Place in fridge to cool & store.