Second recipe of the ’12 Days of Naughty made Nice’ is a take on a rum ball recipe. I am calling it my ‘run’ ball recipe, because this little ball is packed full of amazing plant-based proteins that could keep you running through the holiday season.
These little babies are so delicious. When I started making them, I had every intention of keeping them alcohol free. The it turned out that I had a terrible day yesterday and was in the most foul mood. No apparent reason. Probably hormones. Screamed at my husband, slamming doors, all the things a dramatic person like me might do to take it out on someone else. My husband grabbed our son and quietly walked backwards out the door and left me alone for a few hours to bake-off some of the crankiness…
So as I started making these it felt fairly therapeutic. I was really getting into taking my hormonal frustrations out on the nuts I was crushing and grinding. Then my mind started stirring trying to figure out why I was so cranky and rude to my husband. Next thing I know the bottle of dark rum is out and I’ve poured it into the recipe.
If you want to keep these little balls a true clean eating treat, then I would recommend to leave the rum out and use the almond milk. But hey, some days through the holidays are a little stressful so I won’t blame you if you happen to pour a little rum in there
- 1 cup dates, pitted, soaked for 15mins in water
- 1 cup raw almonds
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- ¼ cup raw pecans
- 2 tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 4-6 tbsp almond milk or dark rum
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes or cacao powder
- Place nuts and seeds into food processor and make into a crumb-type texture. Place in a bowl and mix in cacao powder, chia seeds & salt.
- Place soaked dates into food processor and blend until smooth paste. Place into nut & seed mixture.
- Choose your poison (almond milk or booze) and mix all ingredients together.
- Take about a teaspoon of the mixture and form into balls.
- Cover in either coconut flakes or cacao powder. Freeze in airtight container until ready to use.