You can now follow me on twitter @rollwithitsuz. Roll with me as I give inspirational tips, healthy recipes and of course, moments to laugh at. And feel free to like me on Facebook ‘Roll With It Suzanne’ and suggest to your friends to like me too! Let’s share the health!
This week I have created an amazing vegan and gluten-free pie that will do nothing to you but give you power to get you through your day. Seriously, I have needed the power of this pie this week. And while I have enjoyed it for my breakfast all week there has been another thing I have used to power me – meditation. It is so simple and yet can help you stay focused throughout the day or even calm you at night. There have been a few things happening these last few weeks and the stress has started to build up in my body, presenting itself as pain.
Maybe you know this pain? That pressure in your chest that is heavy. A weighted, collapsing of your heart as your breath sits high in your chest. I hate that feeling. So to deal with this, I put the sugary candy down and focused on my breath. Isn’t it amazing how easy it is to go back to old habits when stressed and yet extremely difficult to make new healthy habits??? I decided to meditate. Meditation can be as simple as focusing on your inhale and exhale for 5 minutes or more detailed where you go off into la-la land for a while…or an hour…or two. This week’s meditation for me was to focus on pain – the pain that the stress was causing – to exit my body. This is a technique that I used during my cancer treatments. I place my hand on the area that is in pain and visualize the pain leaving my body. Keeping a focus on my breath. There were times during my cancer treatments that I could literally feel my tumor breaking apart and leaving my body while I did this meditation. This past week, I laid in bed, placed my hand on my heart and breathed the pain away. Inhale. Exhale. Repeat. And then I fell asleep. It was wonderful.
So this week, while you fueling your body with the power of natural food, remember the power of your mind and meditation. Take a few moments in your day to release your pain. The power of your breath and mind might be exactly what your body was looking for! Then eat some of this power pumpkin pie.
- 20 dates
- 1 cup raw pecans
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ½ cu brown rice flour
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pure vanilla
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 2 cups pure pumpkin
- 2 tbsp chia seeds, mixed in ½ cup water to thicken or 2 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup almond milk, heated (or other milk alternative)
- For the crust: in a food processor, add dates until they make a paste. Place date paste in bowl and set aside.
- Place raw pecans, raw walnuts & raw pumpkin seeds in food processor & pulse until nuts & seeds are close to a flour consistency.
- Mix dates with nuts/seed blend, brown rice flour, hemp hearts, coconut oil, sea salt, pure vanilla and xanthan gum. Use your hands if you need to!
- Oil your pie plate with a bit of coconut oil. Press crust dough into pan.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the filling: in a bowl, mix pure pumpkin, chia seeds, coconut sugar, cinnamon, sea salt, fresh ginger and almond milk together.
- Pour filling into pie crust. Bake in oven for 1h, 30mins.
- Set aside to cool. Then place in fridge overnight. Take out of fridge when ready to eat. This is particularly good as a breakfast. I'm just sayin' ;)
How do you deal with pain and stress? Ever tried to meditate? Share your story by leaving a comment below.