Happy Halloween! I wanted to bring you one last smoothie post this week to make sure you have enough to fuel your fire for this Halloween day! Look at these little tangerine jack-o-lanterns! Q nearly died when he saw them! So easy to do!
Ha ha! I love how these tangerines look like they are laughing at each other!
Halloween is so much more exciting again now that we have kids. And by exciting, I mean a long, tedious, 4 hours that tests my patience for my child and all other young human beings on this planet. It’s going to be a long night. But – it only comes once a year so I better enjoy the smile on my child’s face while he is out trick-o-treating. Or the way he gets electrified when he puts on his costume. He’s Spider-Man, of course. For the third year in a row…Wish us luck…:/
A few notes on this smoothie:
1. Yes, I’m really telling you to use the beet green in this drink.
2. Make sure your beets are nice and fresh to avoid the greens tasting too bitter.
3. Raw is the way to go. When you cook your beet you lose the high amount of vitamin C in this root veggie which will help you through the upcoming cold & flu season.
4. Don’t be scare…try it!
Bloody Berry Beet Halloween Smoothie
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 serving of Bodacious Berry Vega Protein Smoothie Powder
- 1 small beet, raw, chopped
- beet greens (leaves), chopped
- TANGERINE JACK-O-LANTERNS
- 1 tangerine
- 1 skewer
- Place all ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- FOR THE JACK-O-LANTERN
- Cut the tangerine in half, scoop out the centre.
- Take a sharp, fine blade knife and carve whatever face you feel like.
- Skewer the carved jack-o-lantern and place in smoothie as decoration!
So many wild and wonderful things happening in our family right now! My baby sister just had an epic wedding back in Toronto last weekend where I danced most of the night away not caring if anyone was watching. Her new extended family – which is now also our new extended family – is a blast to be around and do they ever make GOOD food!!! Nothing like having a father-in-law who is a chef AND works at gluten-free bakery. Score baby sister – especially your gluten-free wedding cake – I had two pieces it was so good! And gurl – did you ever make me cry with your speech?!?! I’m glad it all came together for you and you were happy with your day.
We had lots of fun there within the chaos of traveling with two kids on a completely different time zone schedule. Let me tell ya though, within moments our hatred for that city and it’s traffic came back in full strength! The feeling when we landed in Vancouver, gathered our luggage and drove back to our house all within 30mins…priceless.
My big sister is expecting her 2nd child after 4 years of trying to get pregnant! YAY! She is looking stunning and I can’t wait to have another little munchkin in the family to smother with hugs, kisses and my big auntie love! Can’t wait for her and pray for a healthy baby…I’m guessing boy…but healthy either way please.
My oldest brother introduced me to his girl – and man – I could not be happier for him! I don’t want to say much about this one – I just hope my family didn’t (and doesn’t) scare her away! Dad, I’m mostly talking to you…She’s a keeper!
To see how well my nephew is doing with being home schooled is exciting. I’m so proud of my brother and my sister-in-law for being brave enough to make that decision.
And me? Well, isn’t there always something new and exciting when I show up here to the blog (aside from clean & delicious recipes…)? I am back to work after my maternity leave and have started a whole new job with a whole new company. I challenged every day in this new role. It is both exciting and nerve-racking all at the same time. I come home from work everyday and I love my babies even more and appreciate our moments of laughter to the fullest. Like I’ve said before, I am not a stay at home mom and could never see myself in that role full-time. It’s just not me. I am grateful to live in a country where a year maternity leave is the norm and to have found a company to go back to where there is long-term growth. It’s a very exciting time indeed!
Ghostly Pumpkin Spiced Halloween Smoothie
- ½ cup pumpkin purée
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 serving Vega One Vanilla Chai
- 1 cup ice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp fresh ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- GHOST TOPPING (OPTIONAL)
- 175ml small can of full fat coconut milk, chilled in fridge over night
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 mini chocolate chips
- Place all smoothie ingredients in a high powdered blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into tall glass and top with optional topping.
- FOR THE GHOST TOPPING (OPTIONAL)
- Separate coconut water and solidified milk into two separate bowls. This should be fairly easy after the can being in the fridge over night.
- With a hand mixer, whip the solidified full fat coconut milk with the vanilla until a whip cream consistency.
- Dollop the whip on top of the pumpkin spiced smoothie to look like a ghost.
- Place two mini chocolate chips on it for eyes. Happy Halloween!