Happy Halloween! I wanted to bring you one last smoothie post this week to make sure you have enough to fuel your fire for this Halloween day! Look at these little tangerine jack-o-lanterns! Q nearly died when he saw them! So easy to do!
Ha ha! I love how these tangerines look like they are laughing at each other!
Halloween is so much more exciting again now that we have kids. And by exciting, I mean a long, tedious, 4 hours that tests my patience for my child and all other young human beings on this planet. It’s going to be a long night. But – it only comes once a year so I better enjoy the smile on my child’s face while he is out trick-o-treating. Or the way he gets electrified when he puts on his costume. He’s Spider-Man, of course. For the third year in a row…Wish us luck…:/
A few notes on this smoothie:
1. Yes, I’m really telling you to use the beet green in this drink.
2. Make sure your beets are nice and fresh to avoid the greens tasting too bitter.
3. Raw is the way to go. When you cook your beet you lose the high amount of vitamin C in this root veggie which will help you through the upcoming cold & flu season.
4. Don’t be scare…try it!
Bloody Berry Beet Halloween Smoothie
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 serving of Bodacious Berry Vega Protein Smoothie Powder
- 1 small beet, raw, chopped
- beet greens (leaves), chopped
- TANGERINE JACK-O-LANTERNS
- 1 tangerine
- 1 skewer
- Place all ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- FOR THE JACK-O-LANTERN
- Cut the tangerine in half, scoop out the centre.
- Take a sharp, fine blade knife and carve whatever face you feel like.
- Skewer the carved jack-o-lantern and place in smoothie as decoration!
One of the biggest misconceptions I get from people when I tell them I like to avoid refined sugar is that they think I don’t like sugar. To the contrary – I LOVE SUGAR. I am fully, deeply, utterly in-love with sugar. I am, in fact, addicted to it. I know I am because I can feel myself crave it in the mid-afternoon lull. Sometimes I can even smell sweet caramel out of no where and I begin to salivate just thinking about a taste of it. Yup, if you put a bowl of Halloween candy in front of me I would have a hard time not eating it. If it is even in the house I am likely to consume it regardless of how hard I try to not to. This is why we just don’t buy it or products that contain it (I read ingredient lists religiously).
The reason why I try to avoid it on a daily basis is that sugar causes inflammation in the body. And what does inflammation cause…? Disease. This may manifest for some people as joint pain, cramping, recurring headaches or even a tendency to get sick a lot during cold and flu season. With my husband’s chronic arthritis (an auto-immune disease) and my history of cancer we are trying to build strength in our immune systems. Sugar can block your immunity from strengthening. So, the goal is to stay away from it. There may be days when I eat it – like the Starburst I ate yesterday from my coworkers desk – but I do try hard not to. But, I am human. I find I will give into temptation during times of major change (like maybe my return to work after mat leave?), traveling (perhaps a trip back East for my sister’s wedding) or lack of preparation (often from mommy exhaustion – yup, it’s a real thing!). It is at these moments, where I re-group and remind myself that if I only make one healthy change every day for the next year, I will have made 365 healthy changes. That’s a whole lot of health folks!
Make one healthy change right now with these Energizing Monster Popsicles – perfect sugar-free parent fuel for Halloween night trick-or-treating!
This product was originally reviewed on the blog here when it first came out from Vega and is a family favourite of ours!
Energizing Monster Popsicle
- 1 serving Vega Sport Sugar-Free Energizer
- 1 cup water
- Fun Popsicle molds
- Mix water and Vega Sugar-Free Energizer together in a glass until well mixed.
- Pour into Popsicle molds and place in freezer over night.
- Enjoy before a light workout or as an afternoon coffee replacement.